'Stenbock's Idiot Club'
1 portrait of Mary Berenson (née Smith)
'Stenbock's Idiot Club'
by Unknown photographer
platinum print, 1877
4 1/8 in. x 6 in. (104 mm x 153 mm) overall
Given by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern), 1999
Sittersback to top
- Mary Berenson (née Smith) (1864-1945), Art historian; former wife of Frank Costelloe, and later wife of Bernard Berenson; daughter of Robert Pearsall Smith. Sitter associated with 75 portraits.
- Alys Whitall Russell (née Pearsall Smith) (1867-1951), First wife of Bertrand Russell; daughter of Robert Pearsall Smith. Sitter in 56 portraits.
- (Lloyd) Logan Pearsall Smith (1865-1946), Writer. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Count Stanislaus Eric Stenbock (né Eric Magnus Andreas Harry Stenbock) (1860-1895), Poet and writer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1877back to top
Current affairsTrial of social activists Annie Besant and Charles Bradlaugh following their publication of a book by the American birth-control campaigner Charles Knowlton, which suggested that working class families should be able to practice birth control. Although found guilty, the case was thrown out on a technical fault.
Art and scienceThe Grosevenor Gallery opens, founded by Sir Coutts Lindsay, as a rival to the Royal Academy. It exhibited work by artists such as Edward Burne-Jones and Walter Crane, outside of the British mainstream, and became famous as the home of the Aesthetic movement.
The first Lawn Tennis Championship is held at Wimbledon with around 20 male competitors, witnessed by a few hundred spectators. Spencer Gore the first singles champion, wins 12 guineas.
InternationalThe American inventor Thomas Edison invents the tin foil phonograph, combining the technologies of the telegraph and telephone. Experimenting with a stylus on a tinfoil cylinder, he recorded and played back the short message 'Mary had a little lamb'.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Photography: A Living Art - Then and Now
Until 29 September
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women