The cast of 'Blue Lagoon'
2 of 2 portraits of Leslie Gilliat
The cast of 'Blue Lagoon'
by Unknown photographer
vintage print, 1949
3 5/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (92 mm x 117 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Leslie Gilliat (1917-2013), Film producer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Donald Houston (1923-1991), Actor. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Janey Ironside (1919-1979), Costume maker. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Frank Launder (1906-1997), Film writer and director. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Cornel Lucas (1920-2012), Photographer. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 68 portraits.
- Maud Onslow, Hair stylist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Michael Smedley-Aston (1912-2006), Film producer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1949back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Republic of Ireland Act in 1948, the Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland and leaves the Commonwealth. The functions previously given to the King were handed to the President of Ireland.
The Second Parliament Act diminishes the power of the House of Lords, reducing their authority to delay bills from two years to one.
Art and scienceGeorge Orwell publishes his dystopian novel, 1984. The book imagines a future where totalitarian governments rule; their power based on continual war abroad, and overwhelming propaganda and surveillance at home. With 'Big Brother' keeping a constant check on the citizens' actions and thoughts, the individual loses the faculties of free will and independent thought.
InternationalThe People's Republic of China is created after the Communist Party wins the Civil War. China became a communist country under Mao Zedong.
Cold War tensions increase as Germany is split into the democratic Federal Republic of Germany in the west (a union of the post-war British, French and American sectors), and the communist German Democratic Republic, in the east.
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
- Cornel Lucas: Shooting Stars
- Hollywood Highlights: The work of Cornel Lucas
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints