Sir Wilfred Neden
3 of 6 portraits of Sir Wilfred Neden
Sir Wilfred Neden
by Howard Coster
bromide print, 1950s
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Wilfred Neden (1893-1978), Lieutenant and civil servant at the Ministry of Labour. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9349 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Learn more
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer