Sir Muirhead Bone
7 of 9 portraits of Sir Muirhead Bone
Sir Muirhead Bone
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate glass negative, 10 June 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Sir Muirhead Bone (1876-1953), Draughtsman, etcher and painter. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London.
A new synthetic fabric is invented and named after New York and London: Nylon.
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856