7 of 21 portraits of Quentin Crisp
by Angus McBean
modern bromide print from original negative, 1941
Given by David Ball, 2006
Artistback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Artist associated with 276 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Events of 1941back to top
Current affairsThe Blitz continues with sustained Luftwaffe attacks on British cities. As the bombing went on the urban population got used to the black out, the air raid sirens and nights spent in shelter. The idea emerged (to some extent a myth) of the 'spirit of the Blitz' where people pulled together united, disregarding traditional class and social divisions.
Art and scienceFrank Whittle demonstrates the first test-flight of a plane powered by jet propulsion. Although the German, Hans von Ohain, built the first jet plane, Whittle was the first to patent a design for the jet engine (in 1930), and his subsequent work helped to advance the technology and made Britain leaders in the field.
InternationalThe Soviet Union and America join the Allies. The Soviet Union was forced to switch sides after Hitler attacked in June 1941, reneging the Soviet-Nazi pact. Six months later the US Navy was attacked by Japan at Pearl Harbour. The following day the USA declared war on Japan, and three days later Germany and Italy declared war on America.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to recieve information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Fergus Greer: Photographer in Focus
- Photographer in Focus: David Gwinnutt
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Faces of Wales
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints