Royal Family group
Royal Family group
by Alexander Bassano
half-plate glass negative, 1875
Sittersback to top
- Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (1867-1931), Princess Royal; wife of 6th Earl of Fife, later Duke of Fife; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 93 portraits. Identify
- Maud, Queen of Norway (1869-1938), Queen consort of King Haakon VII; daughter of King Edward VII. Sitter in 93 portraits. Identify
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Alexander Bassano (1829-1913), Photographer. Artist associated with 2808 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 25 Old Bond Street , London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1875back to top
Current affairsSamuel Plimsoll, a back-bench Liberal MP, campaigns for measures to prevent the practice of overloading unseaworthy vessels and claiming insurance. The Plimsoll Line is established; a line drawn on ships, it denotes the maximum legal load a cargo ship is allowed to carry.
The Public Health Act, the work of Richard A. Cross, sets down in detail the responsibilities of local authorities in terms of public health.
Art and scienceAnthony Trollope's masterpiece The Way We Live Now is published after serialisation. Containing over 100 chapters, the complex plot, following the fortunes of sham financier Augustus Melmotte, tackles the commercial, political and moral hypocrisy of the age.
InternationalDisraeli purchases nearly half the total shares in the Suez Canal Company from the bankrupt Egyptian Khedive, Ismail Pasha, securing a controlling interest in the trading route. Since Parliament was not in session at the time, Disraeli borrowed £4 million from the banking family Rothschilds, attracting much criticism from Parliamentary opponents, although he won popularity from the Queen and the public.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints