51 of 51 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'The Great British: by Arnold Newman'
by Arnold Newman
bromide print on card mount, 1978
14 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. (368 mm x 268 mm) image size
Given by Arnold Newman, 1980
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 361 portraits, Artist associated with 1111 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Arnold Newman (1918-2006), Photographer. Artist of 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Perry, George, The Great British: Photographs by Arnold Newman, 1979 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 November 1979 - 11 May 1980), p. 117
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 41
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1978back to top
Current affairsThe country is brought to a virtual standstill as workers in the private and public sector strike over the government's decision to restrict wage increases. As more workers joined the strikes rubbish piled up in the streets, petrol stations ran short, and storage space had to be hired for unburied coffins. The period became known as the 'winter of discontent'.
Art and scienceLouise Brown from Oldham in Greater Manchester becomes the world's first 'test-tube baby'. The 'in vitro' fertilisation procedure was a scientific breakthrough that has given thousands of infertile couples the opportunity to conceive.
Iris Murdoch wins the Booker prize with her novel. The Sea, the Sea.
InternationalKarol Józef Wojtyla becomes Pope John Paul II. He was the only Polish Pope and the first non-Italian Pontiff since the 16th century. During his 26-year pontificate, John Paul was recognised for his efforts to reach out to other religions and his fight against poverty and oppression. He has also, however, been criticised for his conservative attitudes towards divorce, contraception, homosexual marriage and the ordination of women priests.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Britain 1960-1990
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.