The Modern Orpheus
13 of 36 portraits of Henry George Grey, 3rd Earl Grey
The Modern Orpheus
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Ducôte & Stephens, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 10 July 1835
11 3/8 in. x 16 3/4 in. (289 mm x 427 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (1781-1847), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 79 portraits.
- Henry George Grey, 3rd Earl Grey (1802-1894), Secretary for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits.
- Thomas Spring Rice, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 85 portraits.
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Whig Politician, writer and British Ambassador to France. Sitter in 53 portraits.
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 217 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter in 244 portraits.
Events of 1835back to top
Current affairsLord Melbourne, Whig, becomes Prime Minister following Peel's resignation. Melbourne's government took steps to suppress trade union activity, introducing legislation against 'illegal oaths', contributing to the failure of Robert Owen's Grand National Consolidated Trades' Union.
Art and scienceFelix Dujardin, the French biologist, reveals protoplasm.
Work on the enlargement and remodelling of Buckingham House to designs by the architect John Nash is completed, creating Buckingham Palace.
InternationalJuan Manuel de Rosas becomes dictator of Argentina, invoking a seventeen year rule dominated by terror. A powerful cattle rancher, he represents the rise of the estancieros, the new landed oligarchy based on commercial ranching.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer