41 of 159 portraits of William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 13 November 1835
11 3/8 in. x 16 3/4 in. (289 mm x 427 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1900
Sittersback to top
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 79 portraits. Identify
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits. Identify
- Constantine Henry Phipps, 1st Marquess of Normanby (1797-1863), Whig Politician, writer and British Ambassador to France. Sitter in 53 portraits. Identify
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician; MP for Dublin City and Cork County. Sitter associated with 230 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 746 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 1057 portraits.
Events of 1835back to top
Current affairsLord Melbourne, Whig, becomes Prime Minister following Peel's resignation. Melbourne's government took steps to suppress trade union activity, introducing legislation against 'illegal oaths', contributing to the failure of Robert Owen's Grand National Consolidated Trades' Union.
Art and scienceFelix Dujardin, the French biologist, reveals protoplasm.
Work on the enlargement and remodelling of Buckingham House to designs by the architect John Nash is completed, creating Buckingham Palace.
InternationalJuan Manuel de Rosas becomes dictator of Argentina, invoking a seventeen year rule dominated by terror. A powerful cattle rancher, he represents the rise of the estancieros, the new landed oligarchy based on commercial ranching.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.