Group at the boat race
Group at the boat race
probably by Virginia Surtees, or by Sir (Henry) Ashley Clarke
vintage snapshot print, 1 April 1950
3 in. x 4 1/8 in. (77 mm x 104 mm) image size
Given by Virginia Surtees, 1992
Sittersback to top
- Sir Frederick Ashton (1904-1988), Founder-choreographer and Director of the Royal Ballet. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- Joan Eleanor (née Carr), Countess of Drogheda (1903-1989), Wife of 11th Earl of Drogheda; daughter of William Henry Carr. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Dame Margot Fonteyn (1919-1991), Ballet dancer. Sitter in 50 portraits.
- Sir (Sacheverell) Reresby Sitwell, 7th Bt (1927-2009), Businessman. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist or producer of 1 portrait.
- Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, 6th Bt (1897-1988), Poet and writer. Sitter in 19 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir (Henry) Ashley Clarke (1903-1994), Diplomat. Artist or producer associated with 33 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Virginia Surtees (1917-2017), Author and Rossetti scholar; former wife of Sir (Henry) Ashley Clarke; daughter of Edward Bell. Artist or producer associated with 40 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.