The Primitive Reformers
The Primitive Reformers
by Unknown artist
etching, published 1769
3 1/2 in. x 12 1/2 in. (89 mm x 317 mm) paper size
Given by Westminster Public Libraries, 1954
Sittersback to top
- Jacobus Arminius (Jacob Hermans (Harmans)) (1560-1609), Dutch Reformed theologian. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Theodorus Beza (de Bèze) (1519-1605), French reformer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Robert Bolton (1572-1631), Puritan divine. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Martin Bucer (Butzer) (1491-1551), Protestant reformer. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Heinrich Bullinger (1504-1575), Swiss reformer. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Johannes Buxtorf (1564-1629), Hebraist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Calvin (1509-1564), French theologian. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter in 46 portraits.
- Peter Du Moulin (1601-1684), Church of England clergyman and religious controversialist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Huigh De Groot (Hugo Grotius) (1583-1645), Dutch scholar. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- John Hus (circa 1373-1415), Bohemian reformer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Jerome of Prague (circa 1370-1416), Bohemian religious reformer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Knox (circa 1514-1572), Scottish reformer and historian. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
- Hugh Latimer (circa 1485-1555), Bishop of Worcester. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Martin Luther (1483-1546), German religious reformer. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Philipp Melanchthon (1497-1560), German protestant reformer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Johannes Oecolampadius (1482-1531), German religious reformer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- William Perkins (1558-1602), Puritan divine. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Nicholas Ridley (1500-1555), Bishop of London. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- St Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), Philosopher and theologian. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Pietro Vermigli (1499-1562), Reformer, Theologian and known as 'Peter Martyr'. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- John Wyclif (Wycliffe) (1324?-1384), Religious reformer and theologian. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Jerome Zanchius (1516-1590), Italian Protestant Reformation clergyman. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Ulricus Zuinglius (1487-1531), Swiss reformer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1769back to top
Current affairsRadical John Wilkes is expelled from Parliament once again, on the grounds that he was an outlaw when he was voted in. He is re-elected by his Middlesex constituents, then expelled and re-elected twice more, until Parliament declares his opponent, Henry Luttrell, the winner.
First of 69 anonymous Letters of Junius appears in the Public Advertiser, exposing political corruption. The politician Sir Philip Francis is now believed to have been responsible.
Art and scienceJosiah Wedgwood opens his Etruria Works for the manufacture of pottery.
Inventor Richard Arkwright patents a spinning frame able to weave fabric mechanically.
Gordon's London Dry Gin is produced for the first time.
First Royal Academy exhibition is held.
Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage is first published.
InternationalCaptain Cook observes the transit of Venus in Tahiti while his passengers, Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander, collect valuable specimens of Pacific flora. The expedition travels on to New Zealand where Cook begins charting the country's entire coastline.
Treaty of Madras ends the First Anglo-Mysore War but fails to settle dispute.
French inventor Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot tests a steam wagon, probably the first working mechanical vehicle.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 1 December 2019
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
13 December, 12:30