The Royal Cosset
20 of 37 portraits of John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough
The Royal Cosset
by John ('HB') Doyle, printed by Alfred Ducôte, published by Thomas McLean
lithograph, published 5 February 1838
11 3/4 in. x 17 1/4 in. (298 mm x 437 mm) overall
acquired unknown source, 1900
Artistsback to top
- John ('HB') Doyle (1797-1868), 'HB'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 746 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Ducôte (active 1830-1840), Lithographer and lithographic printer. Artist associated with 462 portraits.
- Thomas McLean (1788-1875), Publisher and dealer. Artist associated with 1057 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (1781-1847), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter associated with 37 portraits. Identify
- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778-1868), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 280 portraits. Identify
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 31 portraits. Identify
- Charles Pepys, 1st Earl of Cottenham (1781-1851), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Charles Grant, Baron Glenelg (1778-1866), Politician and colonial administrator. Sitter in 32 portraits. Identify
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 159 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Spring Rice, 1st Baron Monteagle of Brandon (1790-1866), Whig politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 85 portraits. Identify
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter in 146 portraits. Identify
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter associated with 249 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1838back to top
Current affairsThe Anti-Corn Law league is established in Manchester, led by Richard Cobden and John Bright, aiming to create a fully free-trade economy.
The People's Charter is published, demanding many constitutional amendments that would become central to future democratic reform, including universal male suffrage and secret ballots. Despite having one million signatures (and 5 million by 1848), the petition was rejected.
Slavery is completely abolished.
Art and scienceTurner's The Fighting Temeraire is exhibited at the Royal Academy. The Temeraire, which had broken the line at the Battle of Trafalgar, was a reflection on the rapid changes of the industrial age. This was demonstrated this year when Isambard Brunel's Great Western crosses the Atlantic, in just fifteen days - a ship under sail could take a month.
The London-Birmingham railway is also completed, the line engineered by Robert Stephenson.
InternationalThe first stage in the formation of independent Boer republics in South Africa, as the Republic of Natal is formed in South Africa, following the Boers defeat of the Matabele of Mzilikasi. This comes two years after the Dutch-speaking inhabitants of the British-ruled colony of South Africa set out on the Great Trek, in search of their own independent state.
The Central American Federation, an experimental republic formed of several Latin states splits.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Conquering England
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Prince Albert Trail
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.