20 of 35 portraits of Alicia Markova
by Angus McBean
halftone reproduction tear sheet, published 7 October 1953
9 5/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (245 mm x 196 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper, 2012
Artistback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Artist associated with 271 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Events of 1953back to top
Current affairsA combination of low pressure in the North Sea, hurricane force winds, and high tides result in the Great Flood of 1953. With no warning system many were trapped in their homes as 20-foot waves crashed on the coast; hundreds were killed at sea and on the east coast.
John Hunt's British Expedition conquers Everest. News of the achievement reached Britain on the day of Elizabeth's coronation.
Art and scienceFrances Crick and James Watson discover the double helix structure of DNA. Uncovering DNA's chemical make-up revolutionised our understanding of the building blocks of life.
Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royal.
Chad Varah founds 'The Samaritans' helpline.
InternationalJoseph Stalin dies four days after suffering a stroke. It has been suggested that Stalin was assassinated, as he was denied medical assistance for over a day after he was found; many suspect that he was poisoned. On his death Georgy Malenkov became leader of the Soviet Union.
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Britain 1960-1990
- The World's Most Photographed
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Faces of Wales