by Frederick Holland Mares, after Alexander Bassano, and Clarkington & Co (Charles Clarkington), and Joseph Richard James, and Horatio Nelson King, and Camille Silvy, and possibly Leonida Caldesi, and Adolphe Paul Auguste Beau, and Thomas Cranfiel
albumen carte-de-visite, 1863
3 1/2 in. x 2 1/4 in. (88 mm x 56 mm) image size
Artistsback to top
- Ashford Brothers & Co, Photographers. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Alexander Bassano (1829-1913), Photographer. Artist associated with 2808 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Adolphe Paul Auguste Beau (1828-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 38 portraits.
- Leonida Caldesi (1822-1891), Photographer. Artist associated with 54 portraits.
- Clarkington & Co (Charles Clarkington) (active 1852-1869), Photographers. Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- Thomas Cranfield (active 1860s), Photographer. Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- Joseph Richard James (1823-1873), Photographer. Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Horatio Nelson King (1828-1905), Photographer, dealer and stationer. Artist associated with 53 portraits.
- Frederick Holland Mares, Photographer. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 13465 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Unknown photographers, Photographers. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Agnes Kelly Boucicault (née Robertson) (1833-1916), Actress; second wife of Dion Boucicault. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Madame Céleste (Céline Céleste) (1815-1882), Actress, dancer and theatre manager. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Adeline Cottrell (active 1860s), Actress. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Charlotte Saunders Cushman (1816-1876), Actress. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- Emily Eliza (née Saunders), Lady Don (died 1875), Actress; wife of Sir William Henry Don, 7th Bt; daughter of John Saunders. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Helen Faucit (Helena (née Faucit Saville), Lady Martin) (1814-1898), Actress; wife of Sir Theodore Martin. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Rachel (Elisa Félix) (1820 or 1821-1858), French actress. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Caroline Heath (1835-1887), Actress; wife of Wilson Barrett. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- (Louisa) Ruth Herbert (1831-1921), Stage actress and model for Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Helen Howard (active 1860s), Actress. Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Eleanora ('Ellen') Kean (née Tree) (1805-1880), Actress. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Carlotta Leclercq (1838-1893), Actress. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Priscilla Reed (née Horton) (1818-1895), Singer and actress. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- Adelaide Ristori (1822-1906), Actress. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- Charlotte Saunders (1825-1899), Actress. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Kate Saville (died 1922), Actress. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Amy Sedgwick (Sarah Gardiner) (1835-1897), Actress; later Mrs Parkes, Mrs Pemberton, and Mrs Goostry. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Mary Anne ('Fanny') Stirling (née Hehl, later Lady Gregory) (1813-1895), Actress. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
- Fanny Stirling (1842-1929), Actress; daughter of Mary Anne ('Fanny') Stirling. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Miss Swanborough (active 1860s), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Kate Terry (1844-1924), Actress; sister of Ellen Terry. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Lydia Thompson (Eliza Hodges Thompson) (1838-1908), Dancer and actress. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Mrs H. Webb (active 1860s), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Lizzie Weston (née Elizabeth Jackson) (died 1899), Actress; former wife of F.H. Davenport and of William West, and later second wife of Charles James Mathews. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Miss C. Young (active 1860s), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Related worksback to top
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line.
The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age.
Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.
InternationalAt an international conference, the Geneva Public Welfare Society calls on the sixteen nations present to form voluntary units to help the wartime wounded. The society, comprised of five Swiss citizens and led by Henri Dunant, who had been deeply affected by the casualties he had witnessed at the Battle of Solferino, became the National Red Cross Societies, adopting the emblem of a red cross on white background.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Black History Month
Until 31 October
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.