by Percy Lewis Pocock, for W. & D. Downey
albumen print, 16 July 1894
5 1/2 in. x 3 3/4 in. (140 mm x 96 mm) image size
Given by Martin Plaut, 2012
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 478 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (King Edward VIII) (1894-1972), Reigned 1936. Sitter in 437 portraits. Identify
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter associated with 404 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1894back to top
Current affairsFollowing Gladstone's resignation, Queen Victoria calls on the Liberal MP Archibald Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery to become Prime Minister, a position he reluctantly accepts. His government is largely unsuccessful as the Tory-dominated House of Lords stop the whole of the Liberal's domestic legislation, and his foreign policy plans are defeated by internal Liberal disagreements.
Art and scienceThe Prince of Wales opens Tower Bridge, built over the Thames to improve access to the growing commercial district of the East End. The bridge was constructed from two bascules, or leaves, which could be raised to allow ships to pass underneath.
Rudyard Kipling's hugely popular collection of children's stories and poems, The Jungle Book, is published. The stories, based on Kipling's own experiences in India, have been adapted many times.
InternationalThe arrest and court-martial of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish artillery officer, opens up divisions in France over anti-semitism continuing until Dreyfus's exoneration in 1906. The French President Sadi Carnot is assassinated by an Italian anarchist in Lyon.
Nicholas II becomes Tsar of Russia following the death of Alexander III.
Japan and China go to war over control of Korea, with the more modern Japanese army winning an easy victory.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Queen Victoria Trail
- NPG 4164 in 360°
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- The World's Most Photographed
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Prince Albert Trail
- NPG D48190 in 360°
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Conquering England
- Punch's artists
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.