by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 1946
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Shown in the studio at his home, Hoglands, Perry Green, Hertfordshire with one of his Family Group sculptures in the foreground (series begun in 1944).
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Hertfordshire (sitter's home, Hoglands, Perry Green, Hertfordshire)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Francis Goodman: Back In Focus (22 April 2013 - 3 November 2013)
Events of 1946back to top
Current affairsThe new Labour government begins to act upon the recommendations of the Beveridge Report (1942) by nationalising The Bank of England and Imperial Communications, bringing in a National Insurance Bill, and setting plans for the National Health Service. Nationalisation of industry and the provision of free healthcare and welfare were the main aims of post-war domestic politics.
Art and scienceMervyn Peake publishes Titus Groan; the first of his Gormenghast Trilogy. The three novels are regarded as classics of the fantasy genre, although they contain no magic or intelligent non-human characters, so might more appropriately be described as belonging to the 'gothic' or 'fantastic' genre.
InternationalNazi officials are tried for their part in the War and the Holocaust at Nuremberg. The trials were to prosecute war criminals and the location was chosen because it was the site of the annual Nazi rallies, and therefore seen as a fitting place for the demise of the party. The Nuremberg Trials paved the way for post-war developments in international criminal law.
- Portraits on paper
- Artists and sitters
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints