by (Leslie) Roy Hobdell
oil on canvasboard, 1951
20 in. x 18 7/8 in. (508 mm x 480 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Sitter in 79 portraits, Artist associated with 268 portraits.
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.
At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Faces of Wales
- The Berto Pasuka Lecture 2019: Portrait of a Black Gay Man by David McAlmont
15 February 2019, 19:00