by Francis Goodman
twelve 2 1/4 inch square film negatives, May 1971
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1392 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, 7 Reece Mews, South Kensington, London)
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Artists and sitters
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.