by Francis Goodman
twelve 2 1/4 inch square film negatives, May 1971
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1384 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 181
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, 7 Reece Mews, South Kensington, London)
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs