Sir Alan Bates
Sir Alan Bates
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 9 May 1972
11 3/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (288 mm x 294 mm) image size
Given by Lord Snowdon, 2013
Artistback to top
- Lord Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 284 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Private View
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Britain 1960-1990
- Anthony Buckley
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed