by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 1984
14 1/4 in. x 11 7/8 in. (362 mm x 301 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Snowdon: A Life in View (26 September 2014 - 21 June 2015)
Events of 1984back to top
Current affairsThe Provisional IRA bomb the Grand Hotel in Brighton where various politicians, including the Prime Minister, where staying for the annual Conservative Party conference. The bomb killed five people including a conservative MP, but no members of the cabinet. Thatcher began the next session of the conference the following morning at 9.30 as planned saying: 'all attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail.'
Art and scienceDr Alec Jeffreys discovers that patterns in an individual's DNA can be identified and that each person has a unique 'genetic fingerprint'. The technique was soon utilised by forensic scientists to help in criminal investigations, and in order to identify human remains, for paternity testing, and to match organ donors.
Ted Hughes is appointed poet Laureate.
InternationalEthiopia suffers severe drought and famine. The Ethiopian government responded by uprooting large numbers of peasants in the worst affected areas and by setting up new villages for the displaced people. However, the planned villages were frequently poorly equipped and many people chose to flee rather than acquiesce with government plans leading to further decline in food production and bringing the total death toll to over 1 million.
- Yousuf Karsh
- John Gay - Portraits in print
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Private View
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Anthony Buckley
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints