1 of 13 portraits of Glenda Jackson
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 1 April 1970
14 1/8 in. x 11 in. (360 mm x 280 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Sitterback to top
- Glenda May Jackson (1936-), Actress and politician; MP for Hampstead & Kilburn. Sitter in 13 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.
Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Private View
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Britain 1960-1990
- Anthony Buckley
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.