1 of 20 portraits of Ian McKellen
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 10 January 1992
15 7/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (404 mm x 307 mm) paper size; 15 3/8 in. x 11 1/2 in. (391 mm x 293 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Events of 1992back to top
Current affairsThe Church of England votes narrowly in favour of the ordination of women priests. The first women priests were ordained in 1994, inspiring the popular sitcom The Vicar of Dibley.
John Major is forced to take the pound off the European Exchange Rate Mechanism after Black Wednesday, when currency dealers continued selling sterling despite a dramatic increase in interest rates. The event damaged the Conservative party's reputation irreparably.
Art and scienceThe long-running sitcom Absolutely Fabulous airs for the first time on the BBC starring Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley as style-obsessed, middle-aged media luvvies Eddy and Patsy. June Whitfield played Eddy's mother, and Julia Sawalha her long-suffering daughter Saffy (or, 'sweetie darling').
InternationalMembers of the European Community sign the Maastricht Treaty leading to the creation of the European Union. The treaty led to the creation of the 'Euro' currency and its policy was based on a 'three pillars structure' concerned with: 1. Community. 2 . Foreign and Security Policy. 3. Criminal Matters.
At a referendum, Bosnia and Herzegovina vote to become a separate state from Yugoslavia. Civil war soon broke out.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Private View
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Britain 1960-1990
- Anthony Buckley
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection