3 of 11 portraits of Marie Rambert
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 18 February 1976
15 5/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (396 mm x 266 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Sitterback to top
- Dame Marie Rambert (Dame Marie Dukes) (1888-1982), Founder and director of Ballet Rambert, lecturer and teacher. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Events of 1976back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson unexpectedly resigns as Prime Minister and is replaced by Leonard James Callaghan. Wilson's resignation honours list caused controversy due to the appearance of a number of wealthy businessmen whose principles were considered anathema to those of the party. It became known as the 'Lavender List' after it was alleged that it was drafted by Marcia Williams, the head of Wilson's political office, on lavender-coloured notepaper.
Art and scienceThe first commercial Concorde flights are made, operated by British Airways and Air France. The supersonic (faster than the speed of sound) aeroplane was developed through a British and French treaty, and operated until 2003 when it was retired due to falling passenger numbers following a crash in 2000.
The National Theatre opens on the South Bank in London under the artistic directorship of Lord Olivier.
InternationalNorth Vietnam invades and overpowers South Vietnam, reunifying the country as the Socialist Republic of Vietnam under communist rule.
240,000 people die in the Tangshan Earthquake in China; one of the greatest death tolls from an earthquake in history. The event was part of the 'Curse of 1976', a year that also saw the death of Mao Zedong, and the attempted seizure of power by the Gang of Four.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Juliet Pannett: Chronicler of her Times
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Private View
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Anthony Buckley
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.