by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 9 February 1970
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, Notting Hill Gate, London)
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.
Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Until 28 June
- David Hockney Portraits
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Private View
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs