by Francis Goodman
2 1/4 inch square film negative, 9 February 1970
Bequeathed by the estate of Francis Goodman, 1989
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Goodman (1913-1989), Photographer. Artist of 1390 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Photographed in his studio in Bayswater, London.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, Notting Hill Gate, London)
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.
Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Portrait of an Artist
- Private View
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.