by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 6 February 1964
15 1/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. (383 mm x 303 mm) paper size; 12 3/8 in. x 11 7/8 in. (315 mm x 303 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 22 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Snowdon: A Life in View (26 September 2014 - 21 June 2015)
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.
Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.
The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.
After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
- Artists and sitters
- Portraits on paper
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Private View
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- Britain 1960-1990
- Anthony Buckley
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints