by William Spalding, printed by Thomas Packer, published by Henri D'Alcorn, after Alfred Bryan
13 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (349 mm x 248 mm) paper size
Given by John Hall, 1972
Artistsback to top
- Alfred Bryan (1852-1899), Caricaturist and illustrator. Artist associated with 32 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Henri D'Alcorn (active 1870s), Music publisher. Artist associated with 6 portraits.
- Thomas Packer (active 1855-1880s), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- William Spalding (active 1870s-1880s), Proprietor of design studio. Artist associated with 7 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Sheet music cover for 'Perverted Proverbs - or - Tupperny Philosophy' by Fred Albert.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Blenheim House, 351 Oxford Street, London)
Events of 1878back to top
Current affairsThe University of London becomes the first English university to admit women to examination and degree, although women had been allowed to attend classes at the University since 1830.
The former British Prime Minister Lord John Russell dies at Pembroke Lodge, in Surrey.
Art and scienceLibel trial between critic John Ruskin and artist Whistler, provoked after Ruskin's review of Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket accused Whistler of 'flinging a pot of paint in the public's face'. Whistler sued Ruskin, and although Ruskin was found guilty, he only had to pay one farthing in damages; the case bankrupted Whistler.
Frederic Leighton, the renowned painter and sculptor is elected President of the Royal Academy.
InternationalThe Treaty of Berlin is signed following the end of the Turkish-Russo war (1877-8). In a major shake-up of the Balkans, Bulgaria became autonomous, and Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania gained independence and territory, and Bosnia-Herzegovina was assigned to Austria for administration. The British delegation, including Lord Russell and Disraeli, score diplomatic success in limiting Russian influence in the Balkans, continuing to prop up Turkey.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints