'The Book Party'
56 of 965 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Eating and drinking'
'The Book Party'
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 16 April 1964
12 in. x 15 in. (304 mm x 381 mm) paper size; 11 3/8 in. x 15 in. (289 mm x 381 mm) image size
Given by Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, 2013
Artistback to top
- Antony Charles Robert Armstrong Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer, film-maker and designer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Artist of 285 portraits, Sitter in 21 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Richard St John Vladimir Burton (1933-2017), Architect; co-founder of Ahrends, Burton & Koralek. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir George William Langham Christie (1934-2014), Arts administrator; Chairman of Glyndebourne Productions. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Theo Crosby (1925-1994), Architect. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Marion Freeman (active 1950-1964), Wife of Eric Sharp, Baron Sharp of Grimsdyke. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Elsbeth R. Juda (1911-2014), Photographer; wife of Hans Juda; centenarian. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 21 portraits. Identify
- Hans Peter Juda (1904-1975), Publisher, businessman and writer; Founder, 'The Ambassador' (British Export Magazine). Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Anya Linden (Anya (née Eltenton), Lady Sainsbury of Preston Candover) (1933-), Ballet dancer; wife of John Davan Sainsbury, Baron Sainsbury of Preston Candover. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- (William) Michael Thomas Pattrick (1913-1980), Principal of the Central School of Art and Design. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Mrs (William) Michael Thomas Pattrick (active 1964), Wife of (William) Michael Thomas Pattrick. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Dame Mary Quant (1934-), Fashion designer. Sitter in 25 portraits. Identify
- John Davan Sainsbury, Baron Sainsbury of Preston Candover (1927-), Businessman and patron of the arts. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Eric Sharp, Baron Sharp of Grimsdyke (1916-1994), Businessman. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Peter Startup (1921-1976), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Brett Whiteley (1939-1992), Australian painter. Sitter associated with 2 portraits. Identify
- Wendy Whiteley (1941-), Artist; wife of Brett Whiteley. Sitter associated with 2 portraits. Identify
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.
Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.
The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.
After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.