William Leefe Robinson
6 of 13 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'The Great War: Airforce uniforms'
William Leefe Robinson
by Unknown photographer
bromide postcard print, circa 1917
3 in. x 5 1/8 in. (75 mm x 129 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper
Sitterback to top
- William Leefe Robinson (1895-1918), Pilot; recipient of the Victoria Cross. Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Media such as postcards or cigarette cards contributed to a visual record of the conflict and reflected the government and public’s attitude to the war. They were used to help boost the morale of the people at home and the troops on the war fronts. Victoria Cross recipient William Leefe Robinson, the first pilot to shoot down a German airship on British soil, is shown climbing out of a military vehicle.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross 1914-1918 (4 November 2017 - 24 June 2018)
Events of 1917back to top
Current affairsKing George V changes his name from 'Saxe-Coburg' to 'Windsor.' Amid wartime anti-German public sentiment the British Royal Family decided to relinquish their German name and titles. The name 'Windsor' was chosen as variation on ''Wettin', the late Prince Albert's personal surname.
Art and scienceThe National Photographic Record is established at the instigation of the photographer Walter Stoneman to commission photographs of 'distinguished living contemporaries of British nationality.' This project allowed the National Portrait Gallery to circumvent its own rule that portraits could not enter the collection until the sitter had been dead ten years.
InternationalThe Russian Revolution begins with the February Revolution and the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II. Seven months later the Bolsheviks led by Vladimir Lenin seize power in the October Revolution forming the Soviet Communist Government, which lasted until 1991. The USA abandons its neutrality and joins the war against Germany following a series of attacks on American passenger and merchant ships.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints