Ramsay MacDonald and his cabinet of 1924
5 of 8 portraits of Frederick William Jowett
Ramsay MacDonald and his cabinet of 1924
by Elliott & Fry
12 x 10 inch glass plate negative, 1924
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- William Adamson (1863-1936), Politician, Chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party and Secretary of State for Scotland. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Frederic John Napier Thesiger, 1st Viscount Chelmsford (1868-1933), Viceroy of India and First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- John Robert ('J.R.') Clynes (1869-1949), Politician; Home Secretary and Trade unionist. Sitter associated with 13 portraits. Identify
- Richard Burdon Haldane, Viscount Haldane (1856-1928), Statesman, lawyer and philosopher. Sitter in 40 portraits. Identify
- Vernon Hartshorn (1872-1931), Politician, Postmaster-General. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Henderson (1863-1935), Politician, leader of the Labour Party, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and iron moulder. Sitter associated with 15 portraits. Identify
- Frederick William Jowett (1864-1944), Socialist and politician. Sitter associated with 8 portraits. Identify
- (James) Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 72 portraits. Identify
- Noel Edward Buxton, 1st Baron Noel-Buxton (1869-1948), Politician and philanthropist. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sydney Haldane Olivier, 1st Baron Olivier (1859-1943), Colonial civil servant, politician and author. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 3 portraits. Identify
- Charles Alfred Cripps, 1st Baron Parmoor (1852-1941), Politician; Lord President of the Council. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Sidney James Webb, Baron Passfield (1859-1947), Politician; MP for Seaham, social reformer, economist and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Sitter in 90 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Shaw (1872-1938), Politician and Trade Union leader. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Philip Snowden, Viscount Snowden (1864-1937), Statesman; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 35 portraits. Identify
- James Henry Thomas (1874-1949), Trade unionist and Labour politician; MP for Derby and Secretary of State for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 24 portraits. Identify
- Christopher Birdwood Thomson, Baron Thomson (1875-1930), Captain and Secretary of State for Air. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, 3rd Bt (1870-1958), Politician; MP and President of the Board of Education. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Stephen Walsh (1859-1929), Politician; Secretary of State. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Josiah Clement Wedgwood, 1st Baron Wedgwood (1872-1943), Politician; MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme. Sitter in 34 portraits. Identify
- John Wheatley (1869-1930), Scottish socialist politician; MP for Glasgow. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
Events of 1924back to top
Current affairsAfter narrowly winning the general election the previous year, Stanley Baldwin calls a vote of confidence at the opening of the new session of Parliament and is defeated. George V invited James Ramsay Macdonald to form a minority Labour government, making him the first Labour Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEric Liddell wins the gold medal at the Olympic games, breaking the record for running the 400 metres in 47.6 seconds. The distance was not in fact his strongest event, but he refused to run the 100 metres because the heats were held on the Sabbath. His story is told in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire.
InternationalAfter three strokes and several years of illness Lenin dies. Three days later the city of Petrograd is renamed Leningrad in his honour. On coming to power Stalin began the policy of 'socialism in one country' abandoning the traditional hope for international proletarian revolution in order to strengthen Russia internally and independently.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Letter from Mrs Alice Bridgeman - 19 August 1929
- Letter from de László to Lord Haldane's sister - 6th July 1929
- Letter from William Ralph Inge - 6 June [193?]
- Letter from Mrs Mary Catharine Inge - 28 November 1933
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.