David Lloyd George
16 of 132 portraits of David Lloyd George
David Lloyd George
by Elliott & Fry
vintage bromide print, 1898
5 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in. (145 mm x 113 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper, 2013
Sitterback to top
- David Lloyd George, 1st Earl Lloyd-George (1863-1945), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 132 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10986 portraits.
Events of 1898back to top
Current affairsThe UK Parliament passes the Irish Local Government Act, which establishes a mixed system of local government in Ireland similar to that in Great Britain, notably creating new, directly elected county councils, and extending the electoral franchise to include all male householders and occupiers.
Charles Pelham Villiers, Britain's longest-serving Member of Parliament, dies. Villiers entered Parliament in 1835 as Liberal MP for Wolverhampton.
Art and scienceThe French physicists Pierre and Marie Curie discover the strongly radioactive elements polonium and radium, paving the way for cancer therapy and nuclear physics.
H.G. Wells's highly influential science fiction novellaThe War of the World is published, describing an invasion of England by aliens from Mars.
InternationalThe Spanish-American war takes place after Spain fails to meet America's demands to peacefully resolve the Cuban fight for independence. America secures victory after a series of quick naval and military victories in the Philippines and Cuba. Later this year, the Treaty of Paris gives the US ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam, the US also taking control of Cuba, ending the uprising and granting independence.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Indian Nobility in Britain
Until 15 December
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Portrait of the Day: David Lloyd George
22 July, 12:30