7 of 8 portraits of John Strachey
by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, circa 1926
3 1/4 in. x 2 7/8 in. (81 mm x 72 mm) overall
Given by Barbara Strachey (Hultin, later Halpern), 1999
Sitterback to top
- John Strachey (1905-1963), Son of Ralph Strachey. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Surrey (Mud House, Friday's Hill, Haslemere, Surrey)
Events of 1926back to top
Current affairsIn response to wage cuts and increased working hours for coal miners recommended by the Samuel Commission, the Trade Union Council calls a General Strike of workers in the key industries. Although over 1.5 million workers took part, the TUC finally gave in after nine days and called off the strike. The Trade Disputes and Trade Union Act of 1927 made it harder for workers to strike.
Art and scienceA.A. Milne publishes Winnie-the-Pooh. The series of popular children's books featured the character Christopher Robin (named after Milne's son) and a cast of animals based on his stuffed-toys including Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Tigger, Kanga and Roo.
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is published. This was Agatha Christie's first 'whodunnit' story featuring Hecule Poirot, the Belgium Detective.
InternationalThe League of Nations accepts Germany as the sixth permanent member on the council deeming it a 'peace-loving country'. This confidence, however, was short lived with Germany leaving the League with the accession of Adolf Hitler to power in 1933.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Photography: A Living Art - Then and Now
Until 29 September
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Live Music: Luca Luciano: Contemporary Clarinet Recital
27 September, 19:00