Angus McBean Photograph. © Harvard Theatre Collection, Harvard University.
by Angus McBean
vintage print, 1956
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (240 mm x 190 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Sitterback to top
- (Dorothy) Renée Asherson (née Ascherson) (1915-2014), Actress; wife of Robert Donat. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Artist associated with 276 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Events of 1956back to top
Current affairsThe first supermarket opens in Britain. Inspired by the new innovation in America, Jack Cohen opened his first Tesco supermarket in Essex.
The First Clean Air Act is passed in response to the 'Pea Soup' smog over London.
Art and sciencePop Art is seen for the first time in the This is Tomorrow exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery. The exhibition included Richard Hamilton's iconic collage: What is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing?
John Osborne's play Look Back in Anger opens at the Royal Court Theatre, introducing the phrase 'Angry young man' to describe the new movement of gritty, post-war realism in literature.
InternationalThe Suez Crisis rocked Eden's premiership and marked the decline of British world power and influence in favour of America. In 1956 President Nasser of Egypt nationalised the Suez canal. Although Britain and France, who had owned the canal since the 19th century, invaded Egypt, they were soon persuaded to withdraw by US President Eisenhower who disapproved of the occupation.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Faces of Wales
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.