'The King and the Kaiser'
13 of 16 portraits of Sophie, Queen of Greece (née Princess Sophie of Prussia)
'The King and the Kaiser'
by T.B. Voigt
halftone reproduction tear sheet, published 25 August 1906
15 7/8 in. x 11 1/8 in. (404 mm x 281 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Sittersback to top
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 505 portraits. Identify
- Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse (1868-1940), Son of Frederick William, Landgrave of Hesse and Princess Anna of Prussia. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Count Albrecht Friedrich Wilhelm Bernhard of Hohenau (1857-1914), Son of Prince Albrecht of Prussia. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Princess Margarete, Landgravine of Hesse (1872-1954), Wife of Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse; daughter of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and Princess Victoria. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Marie Georgievna, Grand Duchess of Russia (1876-1940), Former wife of George Mikhailovich, Grand Duke of Russia, and later wife of Pericles Ioannides; daughter of George I, King of Greece. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sophie, Queen of Greece (née Princess Sophie of Prussia) (1870-1932), Consort of of Constantine I, King of Greece; daughter of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and Princess Victoria. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
- Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1859-1941), Reigned 1888-1918. Sitter in 47 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1906back to top
Current affairsThe Liberals, led by Henry Campbell-Bannerman under a promise of reform, win a landslide victory in the general election. Electors vote to end two decades dominated by Conservative rule, with disaffection mounting over the conflict in South Africa and party division over education and tariff reform. The LRC continue to grow as a political force, winning 29 seats and changing their name later this year to the Labour Party.
Art and scienceRalph Vaughan Williams edits The English Hymnal, a collection of the best in English-language hymns. Published by the Church of England, it became one of the most popular and influential hymn books in the world.
Antoni Gaudí completes his rebuilding of the Casa Batllo in Barcelona. Known locally as the 'casa dels ossos', or 'House of Bones', the building is striking for its use of curved stonework, oval windows and intricate tracery.
InternationalSan Francisco is devastated by an earthquake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, leading to the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in Californian history. The impact itself and resulting fire lead to the death of over 3,000 people, and over half of the city's 400,000 population were left homeless. Although still a major city, the earthquake directs trade, industry and population south to Los Angeles.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints