'The Royal Wedding Group'
'The Royal Wedding Group'
by Bassano Ltd, published by The Photochrom Co Ltd
halftone postcard print, 20 November 1947
3 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (89 mm x 139 mm) overall
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (1936-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II; wife of Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 75 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark (1885-1969), Wife of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark; mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 218 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 965 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 577 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- King George VI (1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52. Sitter associated with 560 portraits. Identify
- Lady Caroline Margaret Gilmour (née Montagu-Douglas-Scott) (1927-2004), Wife of Ian Hedworth John Little Gilmour, Baron Gilmour of Craigmillar; daughter of 10th Duke of Queensberry. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Lady Pamela Carmen Louise Hicks (née Mountbatten) (1929-), Wife of David Nightingale Hicks; daughter of 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Lady Elizabeth Mary Longman (née Lambart) (1924-2016), Wife of Mark Frederic Kerr Longman; daughter of 10th Earl of Cavan. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Princess Margaret (1930-2002), Daughter of George VI; Countess of Snowdon. Sitter associated with 291 portraits. Identify
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter associated with 402 portraits. Identify
- Prince Michael of Kent (1942-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
- David Michael Mountbatten, 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven (1919-1970), Businessman and naval officer. Sitter in 22 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Margaret Rhodes (née Elphinstone) (1925-2016), Daughter of 16th Baron Elphinstone; wife of Denys Gravenor Rhodes. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Diana Cinderella Mildred Somervell (née Bowes-Lyon) (1923-1986), Wife of Peter Gordon Colin Somervell. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Princess Victoria Alberta Elisabeth Mathilde Marie (née Princess of Hesse), Marchioness of Milford-Haven (1863-1950), Granddaughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Louis of Battenberg, 1st Marquess. Sitter associated with 20 portraits. Identify
- Lady Mary Ilona Margaret Whitley (née Cambridge) (1924-1999), Wife of Peter Whitley; daughter of 2nd Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 48 portraits. Identify
- Prince William of Gloucester (1941-1972), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 39 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Throne Room, Buckingham Palace, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.