'The Royal Wedding Group'
© National Portrait Gallery, London
'The Royal Wedding Group'
by Bassano Ltd, published by The Photochrom Co Ltd
halftone postcard print, 20 November 1947
3 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (89 mm x 139 mm) overall
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Princess Alexandra, Lady Ogilvy (1936-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II; wife of Sir Angus Ogilvy. Sitter in 75 portraits. Identify
- Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark (1885-1969), Wife of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark; mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 219 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 967 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 580 portraits, Artist or producer of 1 portrait. Identify
- King George VI (1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52. Sitter associated with 562 portraits. Identify
- Lady Caroline Margaret Gilmour (née Montagu-Douglas-Scott) (1927-2004), Wife of Ian Hedworth John Little Gilmour, Baron Gilmour of Craigmillar; daughter of 10th Duke of Queensberry. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Lady Pamela Carmen Louise Hicks (née Mountbatten) (1929-), Wife of David Nightingale Hicks; daughter of 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Lady Elizabeth Mary Longman (née Lambart) (1924-2016), Wife of Mark Frederic Kerr Longman; daughter of 10th Earl of Cavan. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Princess Margaret (1930-2002), Daughter of George VI; Countess of Snowdon. Sitter associated with 293 portraits. Identify
- Queen Mary (1867-1953), Queen consort of King George V. Sitter associated with 404 portraits. Identify
- Prince Michael of Kent (1942-), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 17 portraits. Identify
- David Michael Mountbatten, 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven (1919-1970), Businessman and naval officer. Sitter in 22 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Margaret Rhodes (née Elphinstone) (1925-2016), Daughter of 16th Baron Elphinstone; wife of Denys Gravenor Rhodes. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Diana Cinderella Mildred Somervell (née Bowes-Lyon) (1923-1986), Wife of Peter Gordon Colin Somervell. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Princess Victoria Alberta Elisabeth Mathilde Marie (née Princess of Hesse), Marchioness of Milford-Haven (1863-1950), Granddaughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Louis of Battenberg, 1st Marquess. Sitter associated with 21 portraits. Identify
- Lady Mary Ilona Margaret Whitley (née Cambridge) (1924-1999), Wife of Peter Whitley; daughter of 2nd Marquess of Cambridge. Sitter in 48 portraits. Identify
- Prince William of Gloucester (1941-1972), Cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 39 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Throne Room, Buckingham Palace, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1947back to top
Current affairsPrincess Elizabeth marries Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey. Philip renounced his title of Prince of Greece and Denmark, to become Duke of Edinburgh when he married the heir to the throne.
Art and scienceThe first Edinburgh Festival includes performances by Kathleen Ferrier, Alec Guinness and Margot Fonteyn. The Festival is now a major annual international arts event that takes place over three weeks every August, and includes top class performers in theatre, music and dance as well as lesser-known performers who take part in the parallel 'Fringe Festival'.
InternationalIndia is granted independence from the British Empire and the former British Raj is partitioned into India and Pakistan. After various revolts and several years of civil disobedience led by Gandhi and his Quit India Movement, Britain agrees to disband the Raj and grant independence to India.
Palestine is partitioned into a Jewish State, an Arab State and a small internationally administered zone.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- The Face of Monarchy
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- NPG D48090 in 360°
- Artists and sitters
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Britain 1960-1990
- Yousuf Karsh
- 150 Years: The National Portrait Gallery
- Commonwealth Trail
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II
- NPG 4164 in 360°
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.