'Czar and his Family'
'Czar and his Family'
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
bromide postcard print, 1904
5 3/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (137 mm x 85 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916), Photographers. Artist associated with 1422 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia (1904-1918), Heir apparent; son of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Anastasia, Grand Duchess of Russia (1901-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Maria, Grand Duchess of Russia (1899-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia (1895-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Tatiana, Grand Duchess of Russia (1897-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1904back to top
Current affairsBritain and France sign the Entente Cordiale, an agreement which resolves a number of longstanding colonial disputes (including a Declaration respecting Egypt and Morocco), signalling growing anxiety about the risk of future German aggression. Although not militarily binding, the agreement, negotiated between French foreign minister Théophile Delcassé, and Lord Lansdowne, the British Foreign Secretary, establishes a diplomatic understanding between the two countries.
Art and scienceJ. M. Barrie's Peter Pan is first performed at the Duke of York's Theatre in London. Charting the fantastical adventures of Peter, 'the boy who never grew up', the Darling children and the villainous Captain Hook in Neverland, many adaptations have been made of the story.
The painter Gwen John settles in Paris, where she becomes the lover and model of the sculptor Auguste Rodin, modelling for his sculpture Muse.
InternationalJapan attacks the Russian Navy at Port Arthur, sparking the Russo-Japanese war. Hostility was prompted by the rival imperialist ambitions of the Russian and Japanese empires in Manchuria, North East China, and Korea, considered by Japan to be an essential buffer against colonisation by Western Powers. Japan wins a series of victories against Russia which transforms the balance of power in East Asia, and undermines the Tsar's rule in Russia.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.