'Czar and his Family'
'Czar and his Family'
published by Rotary Photographic Co Ltd
bromide postcard print, 1904
5 3/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (137 mm x 85 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- Rotary Photographic Co Ltd (active 1897-1916), Photographers. Artist associated with 1410 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Alexei, Tsarevich and Grand Duke of Russia (1904-1918), Heir apparent; son of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Anastasia, Grand Duchess of Russia (1901-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Maria, Grand Duchess of Russia (1899-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia (1895-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Tatiana, Grand Duchess of Russia (1897-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1904back to top
Current affairsBritain and France sign the Entente Cordiale, an agreement which resolves a number of longstanding colonial disputes (including a Declaration respecting Egypt and Morocco), signalling growing anxiety about the risk of future German aggression. Although not militarily binding, the agreement, negotiated between French foreign minister Théophile Delcassé, and Lord Lansdowne, the British Foreign Secretary, establishes a diplomatic understanding between the two countries.
Art and scienceJ. M. Barrie's Peter Pan is first performed at the Duke of York's Theatre in London. Charting the fantastical adventures of Peter, 'the boy who never grew up', the Darling children and the villainous Captain Hook in Neverland, many adaptations have been made of the story.
The painter Gwen John settles in Paris, where she becomes the lover and model of the sculptor Auguste Rodin, modelling for his sculpture Muse.