17 of 21 portraits of Gustave Doré
by Elliott & Fry
albumen carte-de-visite, 1870s
4 in. x 2 1/2 in. (103 mm x 63 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 & 56 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints