'Operatic Prima Donnas'
20 of 56 portraits of Adelina Patti
'Operatic Prima Donnas'
by Frederick Holland Mares, after Henry Hering, and Mayer Brothers, and Richard Burton & Co, and Disdéri, and Camille Silvy, and probably William Edward Kilburn, and Southwell Brothers, and John Burton, and Clarkington & Co (Charles Clarkington),
albumen carte-de-visite, 1863
3 7/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (97 mm x 64 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistsback to top
- Ashford Brothers & Co, Photographers. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- John Burton (circa 1808-1881), Photographer. Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Richard Burton & Co, Publisher. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Clarkington & Co (Charles Clarkington) (active 1852-1869), Photographers. Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- Disdéri (1819-1889), Photographer. Artist associated with 220 portraits.
- Henry Hering (1814-1893), Photographer. Artist associated with 54 portraits.
- William Edward Kilburn (1818-1891), Photographer. Artist associated with 70 portraits.
- Frederick Holland Mares, Photographer. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Mayer Brothers (active 1854-1868), Photographers. Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 13465 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Southwell Brothers (active 1862-1876), Photographers. Artist associated with 197 portraits.
- Unknown photographers, Photographers. Artist associated with 20 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Marietta Alboni, Countess Pepoli (née Maria Anna Marzia) (1823-1894), Opera singer. Sitter associated with 8 portraits. Identify
- Adelaide Borghi-Mamo (1826-1901), Italian mezzo-soprano. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Marie Charlotte Eugenie Doche (née Plunkett) (1821-active 1862), Actress. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Giulia Grisi (1810?-1869), Singer. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Mademoiselle Guerabella (active 1861-1862), Opera singer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Catherine Hayes (1825-1861), Vocalist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Rebecca Isaacs (later Roberts) (1828-1877), Dramatic singer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Johanna Maria ('Jenny') Lind (1820-1887), Singer, known as 'the Swedish nightingale'; wife of Otto Moritz David Goldschmidt. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Marie Caroline Miolan-Carvalho (1827-1895), Opera singer; wife of Léon Carvalho. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Constance Nantier-Didiée (1831-1867), French mezzo-soprano. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Clara Novello (1818-1908), Soprano. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Euphrosyne Parepa-Rosa (1836-1874), Wallachian-Scottish singer and actress. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 56 portraits. Identify
- Marietta Piccolomini (1834-1899), Italian opera singer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Poole (1820-1906), Actress and mezzo-soprano. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Louisa Fanny Pyne (Mrs Boddy) (1828?-1904), Singer; younger sister of Susan Pyne. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Erminia Rudersdorff (1822-1882), Soprano; wife of Maurice Mansfield and mother of Richard Mansfield. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Charlotte Helen Sainton-Dolby (1821-1885), Singer and composer. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- (Johanna) Therese Carolina Tietjens (Titiens) (1831-1877), Opera singer. Sitter in 17 portraits. Identify
- (Michelle Ferdinande) Pauline Viardot (née Garcia) (1821-1910), Opera singer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
Related worksback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line.
The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age.
Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.
InternationalAt an international conference, the Geneva Public Welfare Society calls on the sixteen nations present to form voluntary units to help the wartime wounded. The society, comprised of five Swiss citizens and led by Henri Dunant, who had been deeply affected by the casualties he had witnessed at the Battle of Solferino, became the National Red Cross Societies, adopting the emblem of a red cross on white background.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints