'The Royal Wedding'
7 of 21 portraits of (Victoria Constance) Mary (née Cambridge), Duchess of Beaufort
'The Royal Wedding'
by Vandyk, published by J. Beagles & Co
bromide postcard print, 28 February 1922; published 1922
3 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (90 mm x 139 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- (Helen) Diana (née Bridgeman), Lady Abdy (1907-1967), Fashion leader; wife of Sir Robert Henry Abdy; daughter of 5th Earl of Bradford. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Lady May Helen Emma Abel Smith (née Cambridge) (1906-1994), Wife of Sir Henry Abel Smith; daughter of 1st Earl of Athlone and Princess Alice of Albany; great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 36 portraits. Identify
- Lady Mary Beatrice Alexander (née Thynne) (1903-1974), Royal courtier; former wife of 3rd Baron Nunburnholme, and later wife of Sir (James) Ulick Francis Canning Alexander; daughter of 5th Marquess of Bath. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- (Victoria Constance) Mary (née Cambridge), Duchess of Beaufort (1897-1987), Daughter of 1st Marquess of Cambridge; wife of 10th Duke of Beaufort. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 580 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Henry George Charles Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood (1882-1947), Major. Sitter in 47 portraits. Identify
- Sir Victor Audley Falconer Mackenzie, 3rd Bt (1882-1944), Colonel. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood (1897-1965), Princess Royal; daughter of George V. Sitter in 298 portraits. Identify
- Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk (1893-1945), Wife of 11th Earl of Southesk; daughter of Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. Sitter associated with 43 portraits. Identify
- Rachel (née Cavendish), Viscountess Stuart of Findhorn (1902-1977), Wife of Viscount Stuart of Findhorn; daughter of 9th Duke of Devonshire. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Lady Doris Vyner (née Gordon-Lennox) (1896-1980), Wife of Clare George Vyner; daughter of 8th Duke of Richmond and Gordon. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
Events of 1922back to top
Current affairsThe British Broadcasting Company (later British Broadcasting Corporation) is established to experiment with radio broadcasting. It is the largest broadcasting corporation in the world, providing radio, television and Internet services to the public in Britain and across the world.
Art and science1922 is a key year for modernist literature with the publication of James Joyce's novel, Ulysses and T.S. Eliot's poem, The Waste Land. Both broke new ground with Ulysses (loosely based on Homer's Odyssey) introducing the 'stream of consciousness' narrative technique, and The Waste Land experimenting with multiple voices and a patchwork of literary, historic, mythological and personal allusions.
InternationalThe Soviet Union is formed under Joseph Stalin who takes power after Lenin suffers a debilitating stroke.
In an attempt to avoid civil war, King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy invites Benito Mussolini to form a new government following the Fascist Party's March on Rome.
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- The Face of Monarchy
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- My Favourite Portrait by Hugo Vickers
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints