'The Labour Cabinet, 1929'
6 of 9 portraits of Margaret Grace Bondfield
'The Labour Cabinet, 1929'
bromide postcard print, 1929
3 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. (88 mm x 140 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Sittersback to top
- William Adamson (1863-1936), Politician, Chairman of the Parliamentary Labour Party and Secretary of State for Scotland. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Albert Victor Alexander, Earl Alexander of Hillsborough (1885-1965), Labour and Co-operative politician, First Lord of the Admiralty and Minister of Defence. Sitter in 31 portraits. Identify
- Margaret Grace Bondfield (1873-1953), Trade unionist, campaigner for women's interests and politician; MP for Wallsend, Northampton and first woman cabinet minister. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- John Robert ('J.R.') Clynes (1869-1949), Politician; Home Secretary and Trade unionist. Sitter associated with 13 portraits. Identify
- William Graham (1887-1932), Economist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Greenwood (1880-1954), Politician, deputy leader of the Labour Party. Sitter in 29 portraits. Identify
- Arthur Henderson (1863-1935), Politician, leader of the Labour Party, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and iron moulder. Sitter associated with 15 portraits. Identify
- George Lansbury (1859-1940), Pacifist and politician; Labour leader and MP for Bow and Bromley. Sitter in 32 portraits. Identify
- (James) Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 72 portraits. Identify
- Noel Edward Buxton, 1st Baron Noel-Buxton (1869-1948), Politician and philanthropist. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Charles Alfred Cripps, 1st Baron Parmoor (1852-1941), Politician; Lord President of the Council. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Sidney James Webb, Baron Passfield (1859-1947), Politician; MP for Seaham, social reformer, economist and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Sitter in 90 portraits. Identify
- John Sankey, Viscount Sankey (1866-1948), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 25 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Shaw (1872-1938), Politician and Trade Union leader. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Philip Snowden, Viscount Snowden (1864-1937), Statesman; Chancellor of the Exchequer. Sitter in 35 portraits. Identify
- William Wedgwood Benn, 1st Viscount Stansgate (1877-1960), Politician; Secretary of State for India and Secretary of State for Air. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- James Henry Thomas (1874-1949), Trade unionist and Labour politician; MP for Derby and Secretary of State for the Colonies. Sitter associated with 24 portraits. Identify
- Christopher Birdwood Thomson, Baron Thomson (1875-1930), Captain and Secretary of State for Air. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, 3rd Bt (1870-1958), Politician; MP and President of the Board of Education. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1929back to top
Current affairsThe first election held under universal suffrage is a victory for Labour. Ramsay Macdonald returned for his second term as Prime Minster, and appointed Margaret Grace Bondfield as the first woman Cabinet Minister.
Art and scienceTwo classic books about the First World War are published: All Quiet on the Western Front, by war veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, tells of the horrors of war and the returning German soldiers' feelings of detachment from civilian life; while Robert Grave's autobiography Goodbye to All That, aimed to describe the author's experiences of the war so that they 'need never be thought about again'.
InternationalThe 24th October 1929 becomes known as Black Thursday when the US Stock Exchange Collapses and millions are lost. The event was the start of the Wall Street Crash, which in turn contributed towards the Great Depression: a major international recession that lasted through most of the 1930s.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.