Various actresses and singers
Various actresses and singers
by and after Elliott & Fry
bromide print, 1890s (circa 1882)
7 3/8 in. x 4 7/8 in. (188 mm x 124 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10996 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Miss Bramble. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Julia Lavinia Gwynne (1859-1934), Actress and singer; wife of George Joseph Edwardes. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Miss Houliston (active 1880-1887), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Baby May. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Madge Milton (active 1881-1883), Actress. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Marie Roze (Marie-Hippolyte Ponsin) (1846-1926), Opera singer; wife of James Henry Mapleson. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Josephine Webling (1862-1942), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Peggy Webling (active 1880-1887), Singer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Rosalind Webling (active 1880-1887), Singer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1882back to top
Current affairsThe Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.
The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and scienceEadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
InternationalThe Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.