Members of the cast of 'Iolanthe'
2 of 5 portraits of Leonora Braham
Members of the cast of 'Iolanthe'
by and after Elliott & Fry
bromide print, 1890s (1882)
8 1/4 in. x 5 3/8 in. (210 mm x 138 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Alice Barnett (1846-1901), Actress and singer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Rutland Barrington (George Rutland Barrington Fleet) (1853-1922), Actor and singer. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Leonora Braham (1853-1931), Actress and singer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- May Fortescue (née Finney) (1862-1950), Actress and singer. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Sibyl (Sybil) Grey (active 1880s-1930s), Actress and singer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Julia Lavinia Gwynne (1859-1934), Actress and singer; wife of George Joseph Edwardes. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Durward Lely (James Durward Lyall) (1852-1944), Opera singer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Charles Southcote Mansergh Manners (1857-1935), Singer and manager. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Richard Temple (Richard Barker Cobb) (1846-1912), Singer and actor. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x28155: May Fortescue (née Finney) as Celia in 'Iolanthe' (appears within the portrait)
Events of 1882back to top
Current affairsThe Ashes Test cricket series is born. The series gets its name from a satirical obituary published in the English newspaper The Sporting Times, stating that English cricket had died and its cremated body was being taken back to Australia, after England, with batsmen W. G. Grace and Charles Studd, lost the first home match to Australia at the Oval.
The Married Women's Property Act is passed, securing equal property rights between married couples.
Art and scienceEadweard Muybridge, British photographer, exhibits his images of animal and human motion, captured with his 'zoopraxiscope', a motion-picture machine recreating movement by displaying individual photographs in rapid succession, at the Royal Academy and Royal Institution. His studies and inventions contributed to the development of motion pictures, with E.J. Marey and the Lumiere brothers acknowledging his impact.
InternationalThe Zioinist movement begins, with the first wave of Jewish immigrants to Palestine, at this time part of the Ottoman empire. The Jewish people were in Diaspora, spread across the world, and Palestine, the place of Jewish origin but now also occupied by Muslims and Christians, seemed a logical place for a settlement.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.