The Bishops' Council
5 of 12 portraits of Sir Creswell Levinz
The Bishops' Council
by and published by Robert White
line engraving, 1688
15 3/4 in. x 11 1/2 in. (400 mm x 292 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1959
Artistback to top
- Robert White (1645-1703), Engraver. Artist associated with 608 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Aylesford (1647?-1719), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Sir Creswell Levinz (1627-1701), Judge. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Pemberton (1625-1697), Judge. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Sir Henry Pollexfen (1632-1691), Judge and politician. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Sir Robert Sawyer (baptised 1633-1692), Lawyer and Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter associated with 11 portraits. Identify
- John Somers, Baron Somers (1651-1716), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 38 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Treby (1644?-1700), Judge. Sitter associated with 12 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1688back to top
Current affairsThe Glorious Revolution. Senior statesmen, increasingly resentful of James's assault upon liberties of his subjects, invite William III of Orange to invade England. Their action is spurred on by the acquittal of seven bishops who refused to read James II's declaration of indulgence from their pulpits. James flees into exile.
Art and scienceGeorge Savile, Marquess of Halifax, publishes his political tract, The Character of a Trimmer, written 1685, which urged Charles II to shake off his brother's influence.
Writer, Aphra Behn, publishes Oroonoko, often considered to be an abolitionist treatise.
InternationalNine Years' War. Threatened by William III's invasion of England and possible alliance of Protestant European states under his helm, Louis XIV sends French troops into the Rhineland. This pre-emptive strike ignites a war of attrition, and institutes a coalition of European states united in attempting to halt expansionist France.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints