7 of 9 portraits of Georgia Sitwell (née Doble)
by London Express News and Feature Services
bromide press print, 9 October 1962
7 1/2in. x 8 1/2in. (192 mm x 215 mm)
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistback to top
- London Express News and Feature Services, Photographers. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Dame Edith Sitwell (1887-1964), Poet. Sitter in 56 portraits. Identify
- Francis Trajan Sitwell (1935-2004), Businessman and publicist; son of Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, 6th Bt and Georgia Sitwell. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Georgia Sitwell (née Doble) (1905-1980), Wife of Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, 6th Bt. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Sir (Francis) Osbert Sacheverell Sitwell, 5th Bt (1892-1969), Writer. Sitter in 61 portraits. Identify
- Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, 6th Bt (1897-1988), Poet and writer. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Sir William Turner Walton (1902-1983), Composer. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's wry comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'
Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.
The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints