© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
by Baron George Hoyningen-Huene
halftone reproduction tear sheet, December 1932
12 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (323 mm x 248 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Sitterback to top
- Yehudi Menuhin, Baron Menuhin (1916-1999), Violinist, conductor and philanthropist. Sitter in 45 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Baron George Hoyningen-Huene (1900-1968), Photographer. Artist associated with 8 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1932back to top
Current affairsSir Oswald Mosley forms the British Union of Fascists. Mosley's party - nicknamed the Black Shirts after their uniform - was founded along the lines of Mussolini's Fascist Party in Italy and called for the replacement of parliamentary democracy with a system of elected executives. During the war Mosley was interned and the BUF was proscribed.
Art and scienceJohn Cockcroft and Ernest Walton 'split the atom'. In fact, Cockcroft and Walton's achievement was to change the nucleus of one element into another by bombarding it with protons, rather than to literally spit an atom apart. Nevertheless 'splitting the atom' has become the popular way of describing this important stage in the development of nuclear technology.
InternationalSaudi Arabia is formed by the unification of the Kingdoms of Hijaz and Nejd under King Abdul Aziz.
Iraq is granted independence from the British mandate established by the League of Nations in 1919-20.
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Michael Tippet
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Edward Elgar
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Frederic Delius
- Only Connect - Michael Tippet <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - installation video