The Ryder family
The Ryder family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 20 April 1936
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Lady Frances Virginia Susan Berendt (née Ryder) (1926-2013), Wife of Frank Ernest Berendt; daughter of 6th Earl of Harrowby. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Virginia Lee Coventry (née Daniel), Viscountess Deerhurst (died 1948), Wife of George William, Viscount Deerhurst; daughter of William Daniel. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- John Herbert Dudley Ryder, 5th Earl of Harrowby (1864-1956), Justice of the Peace; Businessman; Lord Lieutenant of Staffordshire, 1927-1948. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Mabel Danvers Ryder (née Smith), Countess of Harrowby (1867-1956), Wife of 5th Earl of Harrowby. Sitter in 10 portraits. Identify
- Dudley Ryder, 6th Earl of Harrowby (1892-1987), Politician; MP for Shrewsbury. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Helena Blanche Ryder (née Coventry), Countess of Harrowby (1895-1974), Wife of 6th Earl of Harrowby; daughter of Viscount Deerhurst. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Dudley Danvers Granville Coutts Ryder, 7th Earl of Harrowby (1922-2007), Director, National Westminster Bank. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Hon. John Stuart Terrick Dudley Ryder (1924-), RAF officer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Staffordshire (sitter's home, Sandon Hall, Stafford)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.