'A General Group'
6 of 7 portraits of Stephanus Johannes Paulus ('Paul') Kruger
'A General Group'
by Sir Leslie Ward
chromolithograph, published in Vanity Fair 29 November 1900
14 1/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (359 mm x 242 mm) paper size
Artistback to top
- Sir Leslie Ward (1851-1922), 'Spy'; caricaturist and portrait painter; son of Edward Matthew Ward. Artist associated with 1617 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell (1857-1941), Major-General and founder of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. Sitter in 49 portraits. Identify
- Sir Redvers Henry Buller (1839-1908), General. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Sir Frederick Carrington (1844-1913), Major-General. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Douglas Mackinnon Baillie Hamilton Cochrane, 12th Earl Dundonald (1852-1935), Soldier. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Sir Archibald Hunter (1856-1936), General. Sitter in 26 portraits. Identify
- Horatio Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum (1850-1916), Field Marshal. Sitter in 150 portraits. Identify
- Stephanus Johannes Paulus ('Paul') Kruger (1825-1904), President of the Transvaal Republic. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Sir Hector Archibald MacDonald (1853-1903), Army officer and popular hero. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Herbert Plumer, 1st Viscount Plumer (1857-1932), Field Marshal. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Sir Reginald Pole-Carew (1849-1924), Lieutenant-General. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Frederick Sleigh Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts (1832-1914), Field Marshal. Sitter in 81 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Stuart White (1835-1912), Field Marshal. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- John Denton Pinkstone French, 1st Earl of Ypres (1852-1925), Field Marshal. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War.
The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego.
The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.