'Souvenir of the Royal Wedding'
© 2020 E.O. Hoppé Estate Collection / Curatorial Assistance Inc.
'Souvenir of the Royal Wedding'
published by Marlborough Printing Co, after Elliott & Fry, and after Speaight Ltd, and after Frank Arthur Swaine, and after Hay Wrightson, and after Maull & Fox, and after E.O. Hoppé
bromide postcard print, 1923
3 1/2 in. x 5 3/8 in. (88 mm x 137 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2014
Artistsback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
- Emil Otto ('E.O.') Hoppé (1878-1972), Photographer and writer. Artist associated with 194 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Marlborough Printing Co, Photographer. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Maull & Fox (active 1877-1928), Photographers. Artist associated with 73 portraits.
- Speaight Ltd (active 1904-1940), Photographers. Artist associated with 105 portraits.
- Frank Arthur Swaine (died 1952), Photographer. Artist associated with 35 portraits.
- Hay Wrightson (1874-1949), Photographer. Artist associated with 356 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Lady May Helen Emma Abel Smith (née Cambridge) (1906-1994), Wife of Sir Henry Abel Smith; daughter of 1st Earl of Athlone and Princess Alice of Albany; great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 36 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Diamond Evelyn Violet Abercromby (née Hardinge) (1900-1927), Daughter of 1st Baron Hardinge of Penshurst. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Lady Mary Beatrice Alexander (née Thynne) (1903-1974), Royal courtier; former wife of 3rd Baron Nunburnholme, and later wife of Sir (James) Ulick Francis Canning Alexander; daughter of 5th Marquess of Bath. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- (Victoria Constance) Mary (née Cambridge), Duchess of Beaufort (1897-1987), Daughter of 1st Marquess of Cambridge; wife of 10th Duke of Beaufort. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Margaret ('Betty') Bowes-Lyon (née Cator) (1899-1959), Wife of Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon; daughter of John Cator. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1900-2002), Queen of George VI. Sitter associated with 580 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Hon. (Mary) Elizabeth Elphinstone (1911-1980), Daughter of 16th Baron Elphinstone and Lady Mary Frances Bowes-Lyon. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- King George VI (1895-1952), Reigned 1936-52. Sitter associated with 562 portraits. Identify
- Lady Cecilia Harington (née Bowes-Lyon) (1912-1947), Wife of Kenneth Douglas Evelyn Herbert Harington; daughter of 15th Earl of Strathmore. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Lady Katharine Seymour (née Hamilton) (1900-1985), Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Mary; wife of Sir Reginald Henry Seymour; daughter of 3rd Duke of Abercorn. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1923back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin begins the first of three terms of government as Conservative Prime Minister following the resignation of Andrew Bonar Law.
Art and scienceBolton Wanderers beat West Ham United in the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. The Cup Final was held at Wembley every year except during the war until 2000.
InternationalHitler attempts to take power in Germany with the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. On the 8th November Hitler and the SA stormed a meeting of the ruling 'triumvirs' forcing them to support a march on Berlin. The coup, however, failed and Hitler was arrested and sentences to five years in prison.
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- The Face of Monarchy
- Clear Vision: Brockhurst, Frampton and Kelly
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Anthony Buckley
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Classical Music and the First World War