A Fox Hunting Constellation
1 portrait of Charles Alfred Worsley Pelham, 4th Earl of Yarborough
A Fox Hunting Constellation
chromolithograph, published in Vanity Fair 7 December 1905
14 1/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (359 mm x 242 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- Henry Adelbert Wellington FitzRoy Somerset, 9th Duke of Beaufort (1847-1924), Lieutenant and huntsman. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Benjamin ('Ben') Capell (1859-1919), Huntsman of the Belvoir hunt. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Henry Chaplin, 1st Viscount Chaplin (1840-1923), Landowner, racehorse owner and conservative politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Gilbert Greenall, 1st Baron Daresbury (1867-1938), Master of the Belvoir Hunt and Hon. Director of the Royal Agricultural Society. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- George Charles Wentworth Fitzwilliam (circa 1866-1935), Master of Mr G.W. Fitzwilliams Hunt. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Charles Stanhope, 8th Earl of Harrington (1844-1917), Aide-de-camp to King Edward VII. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Hugh Cecil Lowther, 5th Earl of Lonsdale (1857-1944), Sportsman; son of 3rd Earl of Lonsdale. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- John James Robert Manners, 7th Duke of Rutland (1818-1906), Politician, First Commissioner of Works and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 33 portraits.
- Charles Alfred Worsley Pelham, 4th Earl of Yarborough (1859-1936), Landowner. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1905back to top
Current affairsFollowing turmoil over the issue of Free Trade, Balfour resigns and calls an election, believing that the Liberals will be defeated. However, he is mistaken and Henry Campbell-Bannerman replaces him as the Liberal government Prime Minister.
The foundation of the Ulster Unionist Council, established to campaign against Home Rule, marks the birth of the Ulster Unionist party in Northern Ireland with the Duke of Abercorn as the first elected president.
Art and scienceThe Bloomsbury group of artists and intellectuals begin to hold informal gatherings at the home of Vanessa and Virginia Stephen. The group includes the artist Duncan Grant, biographer Lytton Strachey, and the art critics Clive Bell and Roger Fry.
The German theoretical physicist Albert Einstein has his 'annus mirabilis', publishing groundbreaking papers on the nature of light and motion, including his relation of mass and energy in the equation e = mc2.
InternationalMassacre of more than 100 workers at a peaceful demonstration by troops in St Petersburg becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday'. The event sparks the 1905 Revolution, with uprisings and peasant revolts in other cities, leading the Tsar to issue the October Manifesto, pledging moderate reform, including the establishment of an elected 'duma' (government), which only partially appeases imperial opposition. Still fighting Japan, the internal agitation weakens the imperial army.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer